Second OpinionsThe decision to have surgery can be a difficult one, but often a patients persisting symptoms and the effect those symptoms are having on ones life can lead to the consideration of or the suggestion of surgery. Surgery of the spine is complex and has risks. Also, different diagnosis, treatment approaches, and surgical techniques and can be offered to a patient by different surgeons, often depending upon the individual surgeons particular training, abilities, experience or judgment. If you are considering surgery for the treatment of a current condition, a second opinion may offer the reassurance that all treatment options have been considered.
You may wish to consider obtaining a second opinion if:
- You are uncertain as to the diagnosis and / or treatment plan already offered
- You wish to learn if there are other treatment options available
- You are uncertain about the risks of surgery
- You feel rushed to make a decision and want more information
- The proposed treament involves an extensive, contoversial, or experimental surgical procedure